Speaker profile: Dr. Vernard Gant
Dr. Vernard Gant is the director of Urban School Services with the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). In this position, Dr. Gant is responsible for overseeing over 200 Christian schools throughout the nation that target and serve minority, under-resourced, and urban children. Dr. Gant has been with ACSI for 12 years.
Prior to joining ACSI, Dr. Gant:
• Started and ran a scholarship program to enable moderate and low income children to attend private schools
• Started two Christian schools targeting and serving low-income children in Birmingham, AL
• Ran a summer camp for inner-city children
• Served in the children’s ministry in his local church
Dr. Gant has also served as both a college and seminary professor where he developed a master’s degree program for pastors and ministers.
He currently serves:
• On the executive board of the Black Alliance for Educational Options
• On the board of the Alliance for Choice in Education
• The Life Skills Center (An alternative school for at-risk students)
• Chairs the Colorado State Advisory Committee for the US Commission on Civil Rights
• Vice chair of the Faith Base Commission for the American Center for School Choice
• As an adjunct professor with Columbia International University
Dr. Gant awards include:
• Twice recipient of the Outstanding Young Religious Leader Award presented by the Inner City Jaycees of Birmingham, AL
• Received the Outstanding Young Religious Leader Award presented by the Ala-bama Jaycees
• Named “Birminghamian of the Year” by Birmingham Magazine, a publication of the Birmingham Area Chamber of Commerce
• Recipient of the Jefferson Award presented by the American Institute for Public Service in Washington, DC
• Recipient of the Paul Harris Fellow Award presented by the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International
Dr. Gant and his family reside in Colorado Springs, CO. where he is now observing his 35th year of doing urban ministry.